- Undertake slash-weeding of the interspace.
- Undertake hand-weeding at the basins of the vines and mulch the basins with dry leaves.
- Remove hanging shoots in older plants.
- Cover the young vines so as to prevent drying.
- Inspect and remove plants showing symptoms of phyllody and stuntstunt dis (viral)
In Black pepper new plantations
- During the month of April, plant live standards like Murikku (ErythrinaErythri), Karayam or Kilingil (GarugaGaruga p), Ailanthus sp., Glyricidia sp.,Jackfruit tree etc., suitable for trailingtrailin. In high altitude areas, Dadap (E. lithosperma) and silver oak (Grevillea robusta) can be successfully used as standards for pepper.
- Seedlings of silver oak and jackfruit tree are to be planted 2-3 years before planting pepper.
- The spacing recommended is 3 x 3 m on plain lands. On sloppy land 2 m betwee plants in rows across the slope and 4 m between rows.
- Irrigate the standards till the monsoon starts.
1.Good Agriculture Practices for Black Pepper by Directorate of Arecanut and Spices Development